Monday, March 24, 2008

Weekly Tutorial - Card Folders

It's weekly tutorial time! I posted a project on Friday with card folders and I promised that today I would post the tutorial for how to make them. I got this creative idea from Jo and I believe she found the idea from Katharina. These are great for sending stamped images in the mail without having to worry about them getting ruined or falling out of the envelope when opened. Give them a try, I think you'll like them as much as I do!

For supplies you will need...
8 1/2" X 11" cardstock
scoring tool
sticky strip tape or another strong tape
scissors
embellishments to finish the folder

First you need to score your cardstock at 5 1/2" as shown in the photo. Then slide your paper and score at 1/2" on the left and 1/2" on the right. These will make the tabs for adhering your folder together.




Next, turn you cardstock and score at 2 1/5" as shown in the photo. Now you are finished the scoring.









Fold your cardstock in half along the 5 1/2" score and cut off a triangular section at the bottom. Make the cut from the 2 1/5" score line and cut down at an angle as shown in photo.




Then cut the 1/2" scores from the top of your cardstock to the 2 1/2" score line. Cut this section completely off from your cardstock as shown in the photo. Do this to both the 1/2" score lines.


*Be sure NOT to cut off the 1/2" X 2 1/2" area. These will be the tabs used to adhere the folder together.
This is how your folder should look before you adhere it together.



Fold the 1/2" tabs down over the 2 1/2" area and place sticky strip or tape on both tabs.

Now, fold the 2 1/2" section up and adhere your tabs.


Fold in half to close and embellish if desired.





This is my completed folder. I used Bloomin' Beautiful for the image and watercolored that with an aquapainter and Bashful Blue and Close to Cocoa ink. The cardstock under that is Bashful Blue stamped with Canvas BG. I distressed the top corners on the white cardstock and tore the bottom. For final touches I added some brads to the corners, some sponging to the white, and ribbon to close the folder.
*For the ribbon closure, I punched holes on both the left and right sides of the folder while it was closed. Then threaded the ribbon through the holes and tied in a bow. This folder is filled with stamped Bloomin' Beautiful images and some embellishments. It was one of the PIF blog candies that I sent out this past weekend.
Hope you have a chance to try making one of these folders. Sorry the photos don't match up with the wording perfectly, Blogger is giving me a hard time this morning. Happy Stamping! :)

9 comments:

Erin... said...

thanks for the tutorial, I'll have to give that a shot. they look super easy!!

Alex said...

Awesome tutorial Denise - I need to try making one of these! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Andrea, said...

Thanks for the tutorial Denise, I'm going have a go at making one of these

Cassie said...

I've been wanting to make one of these every time you post one! So thanks for the tutorial!!!

Dawn Wheeler said...

Thanks foe sharing ,yours looks so beautiful ,Dawnx

My Paper World said...

Fantastic project!

Heather Huggins said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I love that stamp.

Samantha Esqueda said...

Yeah- I got this one!!!! I love it- thanks for the PIF and the award! I need to know which SAB you would like!

Maren said...

Thank you so much for sharing!! Love that image too!